How do you get your dental marketing to reach your ideal new patients today —
WITHOUT overspending on unproven methods?
You need dental marketing strategies that stretch across multiple channels, simultaneously, so that you reach your prospects BEFORE your competitors do!
Use these dental clinic marketing ideas… I have 20 for you!
1. Capture up to 96% more leads with… your website!
I find this CRAZY:
95% of people will visit your website once they see any dental office marketing you employ —
- Direct mail (dental postcards)
- A Google ad anywhere online
- Social media, including paid Facebook ads
- Or even a Google review (#9)
A staggering 96% of your prospects will LEAVE your website WITHOUT taking action!
This means that you spend precious dental marketing dollars on promotion that drives prospects to your website…
And then NOTHING happens.
(No calls into your office, no appointments booked!)
Talk about a HUGE waste of marketing money!!!
So your website isn’t just a place online to put your office’s logo…
It’s a MAJOR part of your dental marketing plan —
And a huge factor as to whether you receive leads or NOT.
But the best part?
Your website doesn’t need to cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to catch more leads for your practice!
It just needs the following:
- To be attractive and easy-to-navigate (ours start at $495)
- A professional logo that makes you look legit
- Your phone # in the upper right hand corner on EVERY page
- Lead-capture forms that make it EASY for prospects to contact you online
Here’s an example of a lead-capture form:
Imagine a lead-capture form on EVERY page of your website…
It’ll be much easier for prospects to contact you if they don’t have to search for how to!
Here’s a couple other lead-generating tips for your website up next in #2 and #3…
2. Use an irresistible special offer (or 3!) to drive in leads
Your special offer has 2 MAJOR functions in your dental office marketing:
- Enticing prospects to trust you and give you a try
- Rewarding current patients to ensure future loyalty (and encourage referrals!)
In other words:
A special offer isn’t an afterthought in your dental marketing plan.
It needs to offer a risk-free way to try out your practice.
Here’s an example from one of our client’s dental postcards:
See how they offer not one but 2 special offers?
Two special offers gives anyone something they can use!
On all the dental postcards we design, we often use more than one special offer because for dentists, this strategy flat-out WORKS to attract more leads.
The practice’s whose postcard you just saw — Borealis Dental — mailed postcards consistently for just 1 year —
And check out their results:
- A 143% increase in monthly new patients
- $228,000 in revenue generated
- A return on investment of 998%!
You can watch their campaign success video here.
So remember this:
If you’re worried that discounting your services — or offering anything for free — will risk your practice’s revenue, think again:
The idea behind special offers is you want to drive in LOTS of people to your practice.
Once you prove to your prospects that you’re the best fit for their needs, you’ll have more people to convert into long-term, loyal patients!
Want a ton of special offers to choose from for your dental marketing?
Now that you understand special offers are a MUST, add this no-brainer to your website…
3. Use pop-ups to catch more of the 95% of leads that visit your website
Pop-ups are simply those windows that quite literally pop up on your screen when you visit a website.
Pop-ups aren’t anything new in dental online marketing, but they do work to capture more leads from your website —
Specifically when you use a super enticing special offer in your dental marketing (#2)!
The majority of leads who view any form of your dental clinic marketing will seek out and visit your website to check you out, that is:
BEFORE they contact you and book an appointment!
How do pop-ups work??
They make it extremely EASY for prospects to quickly fill in their contact details…
Which YOU then receive to follow up with and invite the prospect into your practice!
So pop-ups can be a pretty important element to catch more leads from your website…
And it’s NOT just a matter of throwing up a mediocre pop-up and hoping for the best!
Hence, a word to the wise:
If you do use pop-ups on your website, make sure to test and re-test them often.
That’s the only way you’ll see which designs, colors, and special offers produce the most leads for your practice!
Or, if all that sounds too technical…
We created the Catch-That-Lead Tool to manage your pop-ups AND online leads for you.
It’s the most affordable way for you to get MORE leads out of your dental web marketing expenditure and capture more leads from your website.
4. Use dental direct mail to generate $402,095 in revenue
Believe it or not, direct mail remains the most preferred form of marketing…
And, it’s also MOST likely to generate your practice leads and increased revenue.
Check out these statistics:
- Direct mail produces up to 500% more responses than all other marketing methods. (DMA 2015 Response Rate Report)
- 92% of consumers prefer direct mail when looking to buy a product. (DMA 2015 Response Rate Report)
- The average return on investment (ROI) for direct mail marketing is 18%-20%. (DMA 2015 Response Rate Report)
Not just any old dental postcard design will necessarily drive leads to your practice.
You need to make sure your dental postcards each have the 12 postcard design elements on them, otherwise you risk your dental office marketing campaign not giving you the best results possible.
Your dental postcards need to:
- Grab attention immediately right out of the mailbox
- Clearly communicate how your practice is different (aka, better) than competitors
- Mention an irresistible special offer (#2!)
- Provide your practice’s contact information
- And entice your prospect to ACT NOW on your offer (like calling you!)
Take Auburn Family Dental as a perfect example of why to mail dental postcards as part of your dental marketing plan:
In advance of opening up her brand new practice in Wichita, KS, Dr. Behnaz Raisdana launched an aggressive dental direct mail campaign to fill up her appointment books no matter what.
Her strategy WORKED!
Dr. Raisdana mailed out 19,000 dental postcards prior to opening and was quickly booked through the first several weeks!
Within 9 months, Dr. Raisdana’s postcards had generated these game-changing results:
- 337 new patients right out of the gate
- $402,095 in revenue
- An ROI of a whopping 2,079%
- AND she was on track to hit $1 million in revenue in her very first year!!
Want to see dental postcard designs already proven to generate new patients AND increased revenue?
5. Integrate Google ads into your direct mail marketing to 400X response
That’s right —
By adding Google ads to your dental direct mail campaign, you can increase your response rate by 400 times!
Leveraging the wide-ranging reach of Google, your dental office marketing can extend from your mailbox (via dental postcards) to up to thousands of internet websites using Google ads.
How do you run Google ads?
With Google Adwords — Google’s ads platform.
Also called Pay-Per-Click (PPC) ads, you only pay for these ads when someone clicks on them —
Hence the name, “pay PER click.”
Here’s an example of PPC ads that show up when someone is searching for, in this case, the “best tampa dentist.”
Running PPC ads allows your dental office marketing to show up FIRST on Google, meaning:
Your prospects see YOUR practice first (and most likely, above that of your competitors!).
What’s great about PPC is that you only pay when someone clicks on your ad.
What’s not so great is that it’s pretty complicated, and you can easily waste money on unqualified clicks (when people click on your ad so you have to pay, but they’re not qualified leads who are likely to turn into new patients).
With PPC ads, you bid on keywords, like “dentist” or “best Tampa dentist.”
Google AdWords will suggest a bid for you, but you can actually bid however much you want.
Your cost per click is determined by many factors — your bid being just one — such as:
- How relevant Google thinks your website is to your targeted keyword
- “Dwell time” on your website (how long visitors stay there once they click on your ad)
- Your conversion rate (how many visitors take your desired action, such as filling out your lead capture form — #1)
When you’re first starting out with PPC, I recommend setting a budget (say, $15 a day) and playing around with your ads to see what gets the best results.
The most clicks isn’t necessarily the best result.
You PAY for each click (the ads are called PAY-PER-CLICK!). You want to make sure those clicks are converting into real leads!
Here are a couple of tips:
- Create a dedicated landing page for each ad that is a clear continuation of the message on your ad (if your ad says “FREE teeth whitening!” but your landing page makes no mention of that special offer, your lead will disappear.)
- Make sure your landing page has a lead capture form (#1)!
- Add call extensions to your ads (either your phone number or a “click to call” button for mobile ads) and the people who are ready to call can do so without you being charged for the click!
Managing a PPC campaign can feel like a full-time job — but as a dentist and practice owner, you already have one (or 5)!
It’s probably worth it to hire a PPC professional to do it for you.
6. Run Facebook ads to reach 68% of adults who use the platform
First, get a Facebook Business Page, if you haven’t already — it’s free.
This gives you access to Facebook’s Business Manager where you can run ads and reach the 68% of U.S. adults currently on Facebook.
I recommend running Facebook ads at the same time you’re mailing your dental postcards.
You can MATCH your Facebook ad’s special offer and design with that of your dental postcards.
That’s the postcard, and here is the matching Facebook ad:
Your prospects will see ONE cohesive dental marketing message whether they receive your postcard in the mail or see your dental ad on Facebook.
Because here’s the truth:
Social media is not going away, and if you look around in life, it’s clear people are glued to their smart phones constantly in-taking social media content. So your marketing MUST be there too.
Now get this golden nugget:
You can TARGET the same prospects with your Facebook ads as to whom you’re mailing your dental postcards.
And now, since Facebook bought Instagram, you can do this:
7. Add Instagram ads to your dental marketing with just 1 click
When you design and run your Facebook ads, you can easily add Instagram ads to your dental marketing plan because…
They both run from Facebook’s Business Manager — easy!
So in terms of your dental marketing plan, we have:
- Dental postcards (#4)
- Google (PPC) ads (#5)
- Facebook ads (#6)
- And Instagram ads (#7)
So how does a practice owner effectively manage all those forms of dental marketing without losing track??
8. Tie it all together in the best dental marketing program
It’s called Everywhere Small Business. With it, your dental marketing gets blasted across:
- Direct mail with your postcards
- Google (across thousands & thousands of internet websites)
- Facebook with paid ads that only target your ideal new patients
- AND Instagram with targeted ads
YOU don’t have to do anything.
We’ll run your dental direct mail campaign at the same time we design and run Google, Facebook, AND Instagram ads online.
Your Google ads get blasted across hundreds (and thousands) of different internet websites in the Google network…
Including many HUGE website you’d be surprised at, such as:
- And MORE!
And your Facebook and Instagram ads?
They reach prospects where they browse, click, and “like” photos up to 50 minutes each and every day.
Watch the Everywhere Small Business video to see how this program works.
And no matter what —
Plan to integrate social media into your dental marketing, and definitely make sure that your special offer, messaging, and design are all the same!
9. Use Google reviews as 90% trust and act on them
Consumers today rely on reviews to make purchasing decisions, particularly when they’re considering a brand new business.
Check these stats out:
- 85% of consumers trust online reviews just as much as personal recommendations
- 68% of Americans said positive reviews made them MORE likely to use a business
- 84% trust Google reviews specifically just as much as word-of-mouth recommendations
You want to get LOTS of 4- and 5-star reviews of your practice specifically on Google.
Here are some ways to do that:
- Have patient-facing staff members ask for reviews
- Make sure patients know HOW to leave a Google review
- Add a link to your Google reviews in your email signature
- Then email gentle reminders that you’d appreciate a review
- Automate your review-getting process (read how here)
Here’s an idea of what you can add to your email signature:
“Have feedback about your experience at our practice? Leave a review!”
And make sure you respond to ALL reviews because your communication online will show prospective patients that you care enough about your practice to respond to all feedback — good or bad.
30% of consumers will actually look at how you handle negative reviews before deciding whether to contact you or not.
So it’s worth your time to respond to negative reviews!
Even if you can’t remedy whatever went wrong which resulted in a negative review, at minimum your attempt to fix a problem shows prospective patients that you care.
Here’s one more point about reviews:
When you have lots of 4- and 5-star Google reviews, your Google listing will automatically stand out to prospects searching for you because they’ll immediately recognize your golden stars.
And guess what:
Star rating is the #1 factor used by consumers when judging a business’s credibility.
It’s like Google has trained us to recognize that stars = ratings, and the more, the better!
And if you need a step-by-step guide to gain more reviews, grab this:
10. Improve your Google ranking with search engine optimization (SEO)
Search engines work by finding websites which match the keywords your prospects search with.
So if your prospects enter “[Your City] dentist” (aka “Chicago dentist”] your website will rank higher in Google to the degree that your website pages have the keywords aka “Chicago dentist” in them (as well as other factors that are more complicated which we won’t get into detail on here).
The practice owners you see above have websites that are built to be found by Google when prospects search with “Chicago dentist”, and that’s really good SEO for you because they’re on page 1 of Google (aka, EASY to find!).
To get your website found on Google (the world’s most-used search engine), your website’s data must be accurate and filled with keywords your prospects use to find a practice just like yours.
Make a list of these keywords using Google’s free keyword planner tool, and have your website guy (even if that’s you!) use them on the pages of your website — your homepage, your About Us page, etc.
But it’s NOT only keywords you need.
Here are some tips to increase your website’s SEO:
- Each page’s title (learn about page titles here) should be different
- Homepage’s page title should have “dentist” (or the like) + your city & state
- Your contact data (on your contact page) must be correct
- Your business’s data must be referenced (cited) on other popular web pages (such as, Yelp)
- You should have and use a free Google My Business
SEO is NOT a one-shot deal — much like dental clinic marketing in general!
So beware of any company that claims to guarantee to get your website to #1 on Google in a short amount of time…
SEO is a continual process since Google and its algorithms (formulas) change all the time. That’s why getting reviews (#9) and making sure your website is set up to capture leads (#3) is 100% worth your time (and it’s WAY less complicated too!!).
11. Be the #1 dentist your prospects find where 86% search
I’m talking about Google Maps!
Check out these stats:
- 95% of smartphone users have used their phone to look up local information
- After doing so, 61% called the business they found, and…
- 59% then visited the business’s physical location
- And — 40% of all searches on mobile devices are locally driven
People depend on their mobile devices to find local businesses — which includes dentists!
Plus, if you just look around…
It’s obvious that people spend a LOT of times on their smartphones.
So what am I driving at??
Getting your practice to show up on Google Maps (via your free Google My Business account) is an effective way to reach prospects who are searching for dentists on their mobile phones!
I mean think about it:
Where is the first place you go when you’re seeking out a new local business?
Probably one of these 5 places:
- Google Maps
- Yellow Pages (maybe)
- Or you ask for a recommendation on Facebook…
- Or from a friend
Since Google Maps results show up FIRST whenever people search for “best dentist in [your city name]” you need dental marketing strategies that put you there.
So here are 4 tips for getting your practice on Google Maps:
- Fill out your Google My Business account (and keep it updated)
- Get LOTS of 5-star Google reviews, using a review-generation strategy (#9)
- Name the photo files (that you upload to your Google My Business account) to include your practice’s name and location (city, state)
- Get your practice registered on every online listing possible (Yelp, Yellow Pages, etc.), ensuring your name, address, and phone number matches exactly what’s in your Google My Business account
You can now run paid ads that show up on Google Maps, like this example here:
See the 2 little green “Ad” icons next to the TOP 2 dentists in the Maps’ results?
That should be a clue!
They PAID for that top-of-Google-Maps exposure!
Why not get YOUR practice there too?
You can check out DirectMail2.0, which integrates Google ads into your dental postcard mailings here.
12. Use live chat to talk to 92% of website visitors
The beauty of live chat is it puts a real person on your website, answering questions even after your practice has closed for the day.
Here’s why live chat’s so valuable today:
- 92% of consumers love using live chat on a website (Zendesk Report)
- 44% find live chat one of the most valuable website features (Forrester Report)
- 77% won’t contact or even buy from a business without live chat
Live chat turns your website into a real human interaction so prospects get answers immediately, and most live chat assistants are trained to direct calls to your business when possible… getting you real leads in REAL time!
Here are a couple live chat companies you can check out:
Most live chat systems today have a mobile app so that you can respond to your online visitors’ questions on-the-go and never miss a beat (or lead, that is)!
Point blank —
Your website NEEDS to generate you leads — not just be a fancy (or expensive) spot on the internet (remember the point of #1!!).
13. Create a video of your practice for 80% more leads
Get a professional video made that clearly shows prospects how your practice helps them (especially if you have any special technologies!).
Check out these stats on video marketing:
- Increases (FREE) traffic from search engines to your website by up to 157%
- Using video on a landing page can increase leads by 80%
Visitors stay on websites 88% longer when there’s video to watch.
I recommend getting a video made that introduces your practice to prospects, including the doctor so that they feel more comfortable about calling in!
One of our clients implemented video on their website and said they regularly have new patients comment on how nice it was to see the doctor himself speak!
14. Try ZocDoc to reach 94% of mobile-loving Millennials
Want to reach more millennials with your dental marketing?
With 94% of millennials owning smartphones (100% own cell phones, unsurprisingly), if you just look around, it’s clear they spend quite a bit of time on them.
In addition to running Facebook and Instagram ads to reach them on their mobile devices (#6 and #7), try this tool:
ZocDoc — a mobile app that connects patients to doctors.
Think of ZocDoc like Yelp for doctors— but let’s hope without the biased reviews system!
ZocDoc will connect your patients to your practice based on:
- And your availability!
Your patients can even book an appointment at your practice directly from the app —
Which saves your receptionist time, and could potentially fill any gaps in your schedule!
ZocDoc is available in most major cities, and my guess is, it’ll continue to expand…
Especially since it utilizes that ever-important reviews component I talked about in #9!
15. Update your online listings to reach 93% of online prospects
As many as 93% of all online experiences begin with a search engine, according to SearchEngine Journal.
While many of the people who receive your dental postcards will search for you by name and go directly to your website (remember #1-3!!), many of them will simply search for what they need, like:
“best dentist in [your town].”
And they’ll see several listings, many of which will be search-and-review sites, like:
- Google Maps
- Angie’s List
- Yellow Pages
Make sure your practice is listed on those sites, too — and that your business profile is correct, up-to-date, and filled with photos of your practice and team —
Or you risk LOSING all of those prospects to your competitors.
Here’s a great example of a thorough listing on Yelp, which is likely one of the first review websites to pop up:
I love how this dentist uploaded several pictures to their Yelp profile —
Including a VIDEO, up front and center (#13)!
ANY business that gets up close and personal with its clients (dentists, doctors, estheticians) should use pictures of their staff in their marketing because prospects will then feel like they know you and can trust you MUCH more easily.
More trust = more likely to call in for an appointment!
Don’t just sign up for accounts with online listing sites and think you’re done…
Keeping your listing current means setting aside time to upload new photos regularly and asking your happy patients to leave you a review on the site (remember #9)!
16. Use your blog to generate 4.5X more leads
Think a blog is optional for your dental marketing plan?
Publishing helpful articles on your blog can actually generate up to 4.5 times MORE leads than businesses who don’t utilize this free marketing resource, according to Hubspot.
Need ideas to make your blog useful as dental office marketing?
Listen to your current patients.
And answer these questions:
- What questions do they typically have about dental health?
- Are there any tips you give regularly?
- Can you answer any questions about certain (new) technologies?
- How about holistic dentistry?
- Or removing mercury fillings?
You get the idea. There are PLENTY of questions to answer for prospective patients — especially in your field which is riddled with SO MANY technical terms that confuse people easily!
When you arm your dental marketing plan with helpful content that you feature on your website’s blog, you’ll have a better chance of ranking on Google.
By using keywords.
Make a list of keywords that your prospects may use when googling for a practice (just like yours), and include those keywords in both your blog and website pages.
Here’s a smart idea:
Create a list of emergency keywords that patients may use when searching for a dentist when:
- A tooth breaks
- They experience an unexpected sharp pain
- A filling comes out
- Or something happens with their veneer
Write a blog that helps people know what to do when one of those uncomfortable dental debacles occur, and you may be the dentist they find and contact for help!
When a prospect googles for a dentist like you, Google will more likely suggest your website if keywords used on your website mirror what your prospects entered into Google —
Hence, the importance of a blog!!
When prospects read your blog, it’s a chance for them to get to know you and build trust —
Again, that all-important factor in dental marketing!
17. Close up to 80% more sales by automatically following up with leads
Here’s the deal:
The majority of marketing in dentistry will not close 100% of the leads on the first attempt. And neither will your BEST office manager.
Makes sense, right?
Let’s say you receive an email from someone directly from the contact form on your website (#3!).
This person’s reached out to you with some level of interest —
That’s a lead!
They’ve asked you if you offer ozone therapy at your practice. You answer (and hopefully, quickly!).
You email them again, maybe call them (if they provided a phone number)…
And still no word back.
So, no new patient yet.
NOW you follow up with them!
But instead of emailing and calling them every day, you can use email marketing to automatically follow up with this lead for you to save time.
In a free email marketing software, such as MailChimp for example, you can set up a simple campaign to automatically email leads so that you’re continually reaching out to them.
Also called an “email drip campaign,” it works in dental online marketing by sending out emails on a predetermined schedule to prospects in a list that you create.
Instead of you remembering to manually email prospects on a set schedule, have your email marketing system do it for you —
And save TONS of time.
Plus, you can use this same email marketing tool to send out monthly newsletters to your patient base, making them feel like you care to keep them updated on things like:
- New services or technologies you’re now offering
- Help you’ve provided the local community
- Pictures of your team
The idea is that the more prospects are followed up with consistently, the more likely they’ll remember YOUR practice (vs. your competition)…
And when someone remembers you, they’re MUCH more likely to BUY from you when the time comes.
If you want a done-for-you email marketing solution, you can use PostcardMania’s email marketing services.
18. Automate your reminder postcards to create return business (and save time!)
Reminder postcards, aka dental recall postcards, are a no-brainer in dental marketing…
But they can be time-consuming for your receptionist or office manager to send out!
You can set up reminder postcards for:
- General bi-annual appointments
- Reminding parents to schedule their kids during summer break
- Or even before year-end to take advantage of unused benefits!
Think about it:
The purpose of marketing in dentistry is to increase your number of appointments and grow your revenue…
So automating this marketing task with dentist direct mail will effortlessly invite more patients in the door…
So you can focus on establishing your practice as the best dental experience in town!
Want to see an entire gallery full of dental postcards for your inspiration? Here it is!
19. Turn NEW movers into automatic new patients without lifting a finger
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, a little over 11% of the American population moves every year. Many of those people need new dentists!
With our New In Town program, you can reach new movers in your area every month without you even having to think about it, which makes it one of the easiest-to-implement dental direct mail campaigns EVER.
Here’s how it works:
- You tell us your target demographic and service area
- We design dental postcards for your practice
- Every month, we automatically send all new movers that fit your targeting criteria your dental postcards
- They call to redeem your special new patient offer, then you wow them with your service and create new patients!
But check out this:
Your dental postcards are personalized automatically with the first name of the recipient, so they take notice of your dental clinic marketing — because their name’s on it!
Here’s an example:
By automatically mailing to all the new movers in your area, your practice can simply receive a steady stream of new patients who need your help.
You can watch a video about the New In Town program here.
20. Ask for referrals since 92% of people trust them
According to a report by Nielsen, 92% of people trust referrals from people they know.
So you need to get your patients promoting YOUR practice to their friends and family members, thus generating you FREE leads.
How do you do this ethically?
Have your front desk staff tell patients to send in their friends and family.
This may seem like an obvious dental marketing strategy, but busy receptionists can forget!
Want another way (or 4) to use your receptionist in your dental marketing plan?
Now remember the most important of ALL dental marketing strategies…
BE CONSISTENT WITH WHATEVER YOU DO.
Consistency of marketing can make or break your campaign’s results (not to mention your budget) — read why here!
Whichever dental marketing strategies you use from this list, make them CONSISTENT, and you will see your practice grow.
So there you have it!
For even more dental marketing strategies, check out our dental postcards, ready for you to use!
And if you have questions about anything mentioned here, such as marketing with Everywhere Small Business, leave a comment or you can email me directly at Joy.Gendusa@PostcardMania.com.
Ready to start your marketing campaign? Call one of my experts at 800-628-1804 — the consultation is 100% FREE!