What is Every Door Direct Mail?
Every Door Direct Mail is a program through the United States Postal Service that offers mailers the opportunity to saturate entire mail carrier routes (hit every door on the route). It may benefit some marketers, because it includes a postage discount and mailing lists. However, there are things about the program you should be aware of.
Every Door Direct Mail is NOT a targeted mailing in the sense that we normally use the term on this site. The Every Door Direct Mail system can only target houses based on physical location, not by other factors such as age, income level, interests, etc. Basically, it allows you to hit every house along a particular mail carrier's route - if that is something that is helpful to you. However, due to the strict specifications that pieces must meet, you will almost certainly still need to go through a mail house like PostcardMania to make sure your mail qualifies.
Businesses that may stand to benefit from Every Door Direct Mail include:
- General retail stores (not recommended for specialty retailers as they would benefit from a more targeted list)
- Doctors, Health Clinics and Hospitals
- Dry Cleaners
- Tax Preparation
- Museums/Amusement Parks/Local Attractions (if not specifically targeting homes with children)
- Salons and Spas (if not targeting women or specific incomes)
- Insurance Agents (if not targeting homeowners or specific income ranges)
- Auto Repair (if not targeting specific vehicle types or income ranges)
- Car Washes
- Home Services Businesses (Carpet Cleaning, House Cleaning, Pest Control, Landscaping,
- Heating & AC and Electricians)
To qualify for EDDM:
- Your mail piece must be taller than 6.125" or longer than 11.5" and smaller than 12"x15"
- You must be mailing only to zip codes in city routes (Tell us your zip codes and we'll let you know if they are in city routes)
- You do not need to purchase a mailing list as the post office will just deliver one piece to each home
- There is a 5000 piece maximum per mailer, per day for this program
- You must be willing to accept a delivery time of 7-14 business days
After all is said and done, the postage savings through EDDM can reach up to 7 cents over Standard letter mail, or 3 cents over 4x6 postcard first class postage rate.
To find out if Every Door Direct Mail can work for your business! Call your marketing consultant today.