We’re all employers here, right? Not that that’s even the most important thing. We’re all humans here, right? We ALL know certain people are a joy to be around and others… well… just kind of drain the life out of you. You know what I’m talking about. You probably have a couple people in mind right now (employees or not).
In thinking about my personal Maniac labor force this past Monday, and reflecting on how lucky I am to have them, I realized it actually has nothing to do with luck at all. There is a very specific action that I take that allows me to avoid black-hole (take, take, take) employees and hang on to my rockstars.
And it is this…
KEY TO AVOIDING BLACK-HOLE EMPLOYEES = DON’T BE A BLACK-HOLE BOSS!
It’s really just as simple as that.
I hear from a lot of business owners that their most difficult task is finding the right staff. Finding loyal staff. Employees that want to work hard for them. Well, it’s time for a harsh look in the mirror!
Have you ever helped someone over and over again, put your best foot forward, made a few small sacrifices and then NOT been acknowledged or thanked for your extra effort? We’ve all been there, right? Does it motivate you or deflate you? That’s what I thought.
Well, when someone decides to spend at least 40 hours per week working toward your goals, the very least you can do is apply the golden rule “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!” If someone is busting their tail… Notice! Acknowledge their hard work.
We have an amazing staff here at PostcardMania and people comment on that fact all the time when they visit (and I get thousands of emails every year saying the same thing). I’m asked all the time how I cultivated such a group. How did we keep this culture after growing? Simple: I care deeply for these people that give 40+ hours per week to help me achieve MY goals. And they know it. So my task becomes ‘how can I make sure they know it and can feel it?’
Here are some things we do to acknowledge and reward our wonderful staff:
- In-house café – We have our own little coffee shop with delicious treats and healthy meals whose produce comes from our…
- PCM garden – I had a garden planted big enough to grow all the produce we need for our café. This ensures it is fresh and GMO-free!
- On-site showers – Many of my staff like to go down the street to workout on their lunch breaks, so I gave them a place to freshen up when they get back.
- Biggest Loser competition – Winner gets a healthy body (and some other goodies, too!)
- Lower insurance rates if you quit smoking – Incentive enough? So far, so good, as a number of employees have kicked the habit.
- Awards – We have a lot of awards here. Employee of the month, divisional employee of the month, top salesperson, employee of the year, etc. It’s not “everyone gets a trophy,” but if you work hard you definitely get noticed!
- Trips – I took my VPs to Las Vegas this year. Plus, the employee of the year gets a trip to New York City, and the runner-up goes to Chicago!
How do YOU reward and acknowledge loyal employees? Thanks so much for reading! As always, let me know if I can help you in anyway. Drop me a line at Joy.Gendusa@PostcardMania.com!